January 11th, 2020
When it comes to assisted living communities, the choices may seem endless. While there is a wide variety of communities available, not all are created equal.
When looking for assisted living options for your loved one, keep these questions in mind.
Care-Related Questions To Ask
One important aspect of senior living is the level of support services provided. Here are some ideas to get you thinking about the kinds of questions to ask:
- What specific services are included within the monthly rent agreement?
- Are à la carte services available?
- Can my loved one transition to more comprehensive care options if needed?
- What is the ratio of employees to residents?
- What makes your community’s care services different from competitors?
Community-Specific Questions To Ask
The community atmosphere is another important aspect to consider when comparing communities. Making new friends and activity participation all lead to community enjoyment and overall well-being.
Communities often provide a wide range of activities and events for residents to enjoy. Knowing what a community has to offer can play a big role in your decision.
Some specific questions to consider:
- What activities are available for residents? How are the activities chosen? What is the participation level?
- What is the dining experience like? Is there flexibility in the menu to accommodate dietary needs?
- What is the overall social level? Do residents spend most of their time in common areas or their rooms?
Cost And Administrative Questions To Ask
Ultimately, the cost may influence what community you decide on. Ask questions about what’s included in monthly rent and what would incur an additional cost. Examples include:
- What is the monthly cost and what is included in the fee?
- How is the assisted living community funded?
- Under what circumstances might costs increase?
- What policies are in place to handle emergencies?
While asking the right questions is important, it’s also good to evaluate how the community makes you feel. Are the employees warm and welcoming? Do the residents appear taken care of? Is the community clean and safe?
Independence Village Is Here To Help
Choosing the right assisted living community is a big decision. Call us today at 1-844-40-ENJOY to schedule a personalized tour and get all your senior living-related questions answered.